These Spaghetti Squash Turkey Enchilada Boats are such a quick and easy dinner. They are so easy, that I actually love making them for a hearty lunch! The spaghetti squash is cooked in the microwave, by far the easiest way I have found to make them, and the homemade enchilada sauce is a quick and easy brown and simmer sauce that only takes a few minutes to make. To keep these spaghetti squash boats lean, but high in protein, I used Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey.
I start by browning the turkey meat and adding the ingredients to create the enchilada sauce. Then while the sauce is simmering and the flavors combining, I prepare the spaghetti squash. If you have never made spaghetti squash, it couldn’t be easier. Wash and dry the squash, then use a sharp knife to poke holes the the squash. Place in the microwave and cook for about ten minutes. I flip mine over at the five minute mark to promote even cooking in the microwave. The squash steams inside the skin and comes out perfectly tender.
Once the sauce has simmered and the squash is cooked, fill the squash with the turkey enchilada sauce mixture and top with cheese. The perfect lean and satisfying dinner or lunch.
- 2 whole spaghetti squash 2.5 pounds each
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 lb Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 12 oz can of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup of shredded reduced fat mexican cheese blend
- fresh cilantro
- sliced olives
- Heat olive oil in large skillet, add ground turkey to pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Once turkey meat has cooked through, sprinkle in flour and continue cooking for another minute.
- Add chicken broth, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and several turns of freshly ground pepper.
- Let simmer until sauce thickens.
- While sauce is simmering, prepare spaghetti squash.
- Wash and dry spaghetti squash.
- Using a sharp knife, poke several holes in spaghetti squash.
- Cook whole spaghetti squash in microwave for about ten minutes, turning over once half way through cooking time.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Fill spaghetti squash with turkey enchilada sauce, top with cheese and let melt.
- Garnish with olives and fresh cilantro.
I’ve partnered with Jennie-O to create this sponsored post and recipe. All opinions are my own.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
You may also like:
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS