I’m pretty sure I could incorporate pumpkin into every one of my breakfast recipes from now until spring and be happy. This pumpkin waffle recipe is my new favorite. I adapted it from the Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Pancakes I shared last fall, and could not be more thrilled with the results. These pumpkin waffles are perfect for fall, and my whole family went crazy over them. They are crispy on the outside, and tender and fluffy on the inside.
Let’s get started making pumpkin waffles:
Start by whipping egg whites in a stand mixer with whisk attachment until stiff peaks form. Set egg whites aside.
In a large bowl, combine dry ingrdients. In a smaller bowl, combine pumpkin, melted butter, apple cider vinegar, egg yolk, and milk.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
Add egg whites to batter.
Gently fold egg whites and batter together. To fold in egg whites, use a spatula and make large scooping strokes through the batter.
Pour batter into freshly oiled waffle iron. I’m really happy with our Waring Pro Belgian Waffle Maker. It cooks the waffles perfectly, and unbelievably fast!
Pumpkin waffle perfection!
To keep the waffles crisp, place them on a cooling rack so air can circulate around them. Once you toss them on a plate, the steam build up will quickly lead to soggy waffles. If you are making waffles for a crowd, reheat waffles directly on oven rack at 350 degrees for 3-4 minutes. This brings the crispy back beautifully!
- 2 cups of all-pupose flour
- 3 tablespoons of firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of canned 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 egg yolk plus 3 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons of melted cooled butter
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip 3 egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Combine milk, pumpkin, butter, egg yolk and vinegar in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Use batter immediately in waffle maker.