Easy Ghost Cookies – turn homemade frosted sugar cookies into adorable Ghost Cookies by adding Oreo Mini cookies and M&M’S. Such a cute Halloween cookie recipe!
Ghost Cookies Halloween Cookie Recipe
These cookies are so cute and easy to make. I used one of my favorite homemade sugar cookie and frosting recipes, but you could definitely use store-bought cookie dough and canned frosting to get the same look.
I’m always trying to think of cute Halloween Cookie recipes and I got the idea for these cookies when I was making my Spooky Eyes Halloween Cake. I thought the Oreo Mini cookies would look so cute on top of a cookie. With the light colored cookie and the white frosting, they look like adorable little surprised ghosts!
Ghost Cookie Tips
- Make sure your sugar cookies are cooled completely. You don’t want to buttercream to melt when frosting the cookies.
- I like to use a plastic baggie with the tip snipped to frost the cookies. It makes the frosting go quickly and it’s easier to keep track of the portion you are using. Squeeze the frosting onto the cookie in a spiral, then use a butterknife or offset spatula to smooth.
- While the buttercream is still soft, place the Oreo Mini cookies. This will help them stay in place.
- Use a tiny dab of frosting on each M&M’S candy to hold them in place. Place M&M’s logo side down.
- Store these cookies tightly covered.
- You can make the sugar cookies 1-2 days ahead, then frost and decorate before serving.
- You can freeze the sugar cookies unfrosted for up to a month.
- The creme center in the Oreo Mini cookies have different positioning and amounts. Some take up the whole cookie, some are off to one side. Try to match the positioning of the creme for each ghost for best results.
More Halloween Recipes
Jack O’ Lantern Halloween Fruit Tray and Dip
Turn simple frosted sugar cookies into adorable Ghost Cookies by adding mini Oreo cookies and M&M'S.
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk more or less as needed to make spreadable
- 36 Oreo Mini cookies divided
- 36 brown M&M'S
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a shiny aluminum baking sheet for best results.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugar and butter, and beat with paddle attachment until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla extract and almond extract, and continue beating until combined. Add flour mixture and stir just until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
Using a medium sized cookie scoop, scoop and roll dough gently into balls. Place on baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. The edges should still be light and not golden brown.
Let cool completely and frost. Reserve some frosting to help M&M'S adhere to top of Oreo Mini cookies. To prepare frosting, using the paddle attachment, beat butter, powdered sugar, and pinch of salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. With mixer still running, add in vanilla extract and milk one tablespoon at a time until frosting is a soft spreadable consistency.
While frosting is still soft, place Oreo Mini cookies on top, followed by M&M'S. Use a small amount of reserved frosting to help adhere M&M'S.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
These are toooo cute and easy to make! Perfect for Halloween!
How fun! These look easy to make, and I’m sure the girls are going to love helping me make them!
You are so clever! What a great idea!
These are so cute and my kids loved helping me make them! They are a hit.
These were sooo delicious! The whole family loved them!
These are so ridiculously cute!!! PS I tried to pin them but the pin button didn’t load images.
How fun! These look simple to make, and I’m certain the young ladies are going to cherish helping me make them!
These are so adorable!! I love it!!
These are so adorable and look yummy! Perfect for Halloween! My favorite time of month! Can’t wait to make these!
I love when themed desserts are easy enough for me to actually replicate! The kids even had fun placing the eyeballs on these cute cookies.