Easy Homemade Brownies Recipe – rich and chocolatey, these easy brownies are perfect when you want homemade brownies that taste better than box mix.Jump to Recipe
Over the years, I have tested so many brownies recipes and I finally found one that was almost as easy as box mix brownies but taste even better. The biggest challenge with brownie recipes is finding one that uses ingredients that most people have on hand. This recipe uses pantry friendly ingredients, makes a 9×13 pan of brownies, and bakes in just twenty minutes. The really great thing about this recipe, besides that they are delicious, is that you don’t need to fuss with melting chocolate and adding it to the batter. Simply stir in you favorite semi sweet chocolate chips before baking.
How to Make Homemade Brownies
- Line a 9×13 cake pan with parchment paper or foil sprayed with non stick cooking spray. This will allow the brownies to be lifted out and sliced after cooling.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift unsweetened cocoa powder. Then whisk in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla extract.
- Melt butter over low heat in a medium sized skillet. Stir in golden brown sugar and let combine with melted butter.
- Stir in cocoa powder mixture.
- Remove from heat and stir in egg mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and scrape brownie batter into baking pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
Easy Homemade Brownies Recipe Ingredients
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – recommended Hershey’s Cocoa 100% Cacao Natural Unsweetened
Kosher Salt – if using table salt, decrease measured amount by half
Salted Butter – if using unsalted butter, increase salt by a pinch
Golden Brown Sugar
Pure Vanilla Extract
Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips – this recipe has also been tested with mini chocolate chips and both work nicely and will melt into brownie batter.
Powdered Sugar – for dusting
- The brownie batter is thick, so a metal 9×13 cake pan will cook more evenly than a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- The chocolate chips melt into the brownie batter during baking so there won’t be whole chocolate chips in the baked brownies.
- Keep skillet over low heat and remove from heat before stirring in egg mixture. You don’t want the pan to be too hot when adding the eggs.
- Use unsweetened cocoa powder intended for baking, not sweetened cocoa or hot chocolate mix.
The ultimate quick and easy homemade brownie recipe.
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 10 tablespoons butter salted
- 1 3/4 cups golden brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9x13 cake pan with parchment paper or foil sprayed with non stick cooking spray. This will allow the brownies to be lifted out and sliced after cooling.
In a medium sized bowl, sift unsweetened cocoa powder. Then whisk in flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla extract and set aside.
Melt butter over low heat in a medium sized skillet. Stir in golden brown sugar and let combine with melted butter over low heat. Stir in cocoa powder mixture, mixture will be lumpy and thick.
Remove skillet from heat and stir in egg and vanilla mixture. Finally, stir in chocolate chips and scrape brownie batter into baking pan. Batter will be thick. Bake for about 20 minutes until brownie batter is just set and not jiggly. Do not over bake, brownies will continue baking as they cool. Let cool and dust with powdered sugar.
Adapted from Nigella Lawson’s Everyday Brownies
More Brownie Recipes
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
The BEST Brownies…..so easy to make and we’re going to need a second batch because they’re so addicting.
Chewy & delicious! I love the simple powdered sugar on top rather than a slathering of frosting! This brownie doesn’t need frosting; it can stand up on it’s own! My chocolate cravings are solved!
katerina @ diethood.com
I love how easy and incredibly delicious these are!! I can’t wait to make them again and again!! SO GOOD!