Instant Pot Cheesy Zucchini Rice – flavorful savory rice loaded with cheese and fresh zucchini. A delicious summer side dish.
Instant Pot Zucchini Rice
Extra long grain rice toasted and cooked with onion, garlic, and chicken broth, then combined with sharp cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, and fresh zucchini. The secret is stirring in the shredded zucchini after the rice has already cooked. The shredded zucchini will soften but won’t overcook. The texture is very similar to the rice, and because the zucchini is not over cooked, it’s ideal for picky eaters.
Ingredients for Zucchini Rice
- Butter – you can use salted or unsalted, it won’t have a noticeable difference in a savory dish like this. Olive oil can be used as well.
- Onion – I like to dice the onion fairly small so it cooks quickly
- Rice – Extra long grain rice, I use Mahatma.
- Garlic – if you don’t have fresh, add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder when you stir in the chicken broth
- Chicken Broth – use low-sodium chicken broth for best results. You can also use water and chicken bouillon instead of chicken broth. Just make sure to adjust salt accordingly. The chicken bouillon will be higher in sodium.
- Zucchini – shredded using a box grater
- Cheese – Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan are a great combo, but this recipe is very versatile and can be used with a variety of cheeses
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Instant Pot Zucchini Rice
- Start with a 6 Quart Instant Pot. Heat Instant Pot using Sauté function.
- Sauté onions in butter until they start to soften, then add rice and toast rice in melted butter and onion mixture. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add chicken broth, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Lock Instant Pot lid in place and cook on low pressure for 12 minutes.
- Release pressure and stir in grated zucchini, cheese, and parmesan. Season with additional salt and pepper.
My Favorite Instant Pot Side Dishes
Perfectly cooked cheesy Instant Pot Rice loaded with fresh zucchini.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 2 cups extra long grain rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups zucchinni shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or more to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
Heat butter in Instant Pot on Sauté mode. Add onions and sauté 2-3 minutes until they start to soften. Add uncooked rice and let toast another 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Stir in chicken broth, 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Lock Instant Pot lid in place and set valve to Sealing. Cook on low pressure for 12 minutes. Use a Quick Pressure Release and stir in shredded zucchini, cheddar cheese, and parmesan cheese into cooked rice.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS