The secret ingredient, that really sets this apart, is evaporated milk. It gives the mac and cheese a rich, home-style flavor that is sure to please even your pickiest eater. We don’t like hot sauce, or dry mustard in our mac and cheese, but if you do just toss some in there!
Creamy Stove Top Mac and Cheese
by Melissa at No. 2 Pencil
1 pound of bite size pasta, such as macaroni or rotini
1 stick of butter, cubed
1 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
2 large eggs
3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup of shredded jack cheese
Ground white (or black) pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt to boiling water.
2. Drain pasta well and return to pot while still hot.
3. Turn heat to low and mix butter into cooked pasta. Stir until melted.
4. Combine eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and a few dashes of pepper in a small bowl. Whisk together.
5. Add milk mixture to pasta and stir, follow with cheese. Continue stirring over low heat until cheese has melted.
6. Serve warm and enjoy!
Since our garden is continuing to produce tomatoes like crazy, we served sliced fresh tomatoes on the side and the combination was delicious! The fresh tomatoes were a perfect contrast to the rich and creamy mac and cheese.