I love this easy recipe for Creamy Stove Top Mac and Cheese. Mac and cheese is my favorite comfort food. I love all the variations, from oven baked to crock pot. This stove top recipe is great because you can have homemade mac and cheese in about 20 minutes, and you don’t have to turn on the oven. A perfect side dish when you have something in the oven already, but hearty enough for a main dish as well.
I’ve developed this recipe over the years after trying many others that were never quite what I wanted. This is the perfect combination of creamy, cheesy comfort. A simple stove top show stopper, and you only have one pot and one bowl to clean up.
The secret ingredient, that really sets this apart, is evaporated milk. It gives the mac and cheese a rich, home-style flavor that is sure to please even your pickiest eater. We don’t like hot sauce, or dry mustard in our mac and cheese, but if you do just toss some in there!
Creamy Stove Top Mac and Cheese
by Melissa at No. 2 Pencil
1 pound of bite size pasta, such as macaroni or rotini
1 stick of butter, cubed
1 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
2 large eggs
3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup of shredded jack cheese
Ground white (or black) pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt to boiling water.
2. Drain pasta well and return to pot while still hot.
3. Turn heat to low and mix butter into cooked pasta. Stir until melted.
4. Combine eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and a few dashes of pepper in a small bowl. Whisk together.
5. Add milk mixture to pasta and stir, follow with cheese. Continue stirring over low heat until cheese has melted.
6. Serve warm and enjoy!
Since our garden is continuing to produce tomatoes like crazy, we served sliced fresh tomatoes on the side and the combination was delicious! The fresh tomatoes were a perfect contrast to the rich and creamy mac and cheese.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new posts and recipes by clicking on these cute buttons below, or follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there!
Thanks for reading!
PS – Did you miss my last post? DIY Jigsaw Projects
Linking up at
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS