Crispy Buffalo Drumsticks in the Oven or Air Fryer – instead of wings, try these full-sized drumsticks tossed in a spicy buttery buffalo sauce for an easy appetizer or dinner!
Jump to Recipe
Buffalo wings are always at the top of any football party menu! Instead of wings or drumettes, surprise your guests with these delicious full-sized buffalo drumsticks this year. They are just as crispy as fried wings, and so easy to make. Plus, they are so budget-friendly! Roast (or air fry) these drumsticks at a high heat for ultra crispy skin, then coat them in melted butter and hot sauce. Serve with all the traditional Buffalo wings sides like ranch dressing, blue cheese, carrots, and celery.
Buffalo Drumstick Ingredients
- Chicken Drumsticks – 8-10 skin-on drumsticks, depending on size
- Kosher Salt
- Salted Butter – if using unsalted, add a pinch of salt to the sauce when making
- Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce – you want the original hot sauce not the premixed buffalo sauce
How to Make Buffalo Drumsticks
- Start with skin-on chicken drumsticks. Pat very dry and roast or air-fry at a high heat until skin is very crispy.
- Melt butter and hot sauce together.
- Toss crispy drumsticks with buffalo sauce and serve immediately.
What to Serve with Buffalo Drumsticks
When serving as an appetizer, serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles, carrot chips, celery sticks, and extra buffalo sauce. When serving as dinner, I think this pairs perfectly with macaroni and cheese and a green salad.
- For even crispier skin, try my favorite easy dry brining method. Prepare chicken 24 hours before by patting dry and sprinkling lightly with kosher salt as instructed. Then let sit uncovered in the refrigerator until skin is dry and translucent.
- For the best flavor, skip the bottled buffalo sauce and combine the hot sauce with freshly melted butter. This classic combination is easy and absolutely delicious.
- To make this for a crowd, double the recipe and use the oven version. Rotate sheet pans top to bottom halfway through cooking time.
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks in the Oven or Air Fryer - instead of wings, try these full-sized drumsticks tossed in a spicy buttery buffalo sauce for an easy appetizer or dinner!
- 8-10 Chicken Drumsticks 4-5 pounds
- kosher salt
- 1 stick salted butter
- 3/4 cup Franks RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce
- Ranch Dressing, Blue Cheese Dressing, Blue Cheese Crumbles, Carrot Chips, Celery Sticks
Preheat oven to 425° and place baking rack on sheet pan. For easier clean up, line sheet pan with foil or parchment paper. Arrange drumsticks on rack so none are touching. Gently pull skin up to cover as much of chicken meat as possible. Sometimes the skin gets pushed down on the drumstick.
Use a skewer to poke 4-5 small holes on each side in the skin of the chicken. This will help the fat render evenly. Pat drumsticks very dry with paper towels and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt on both sides. Let chicken set at room temperature while oven preheats. Pat dry again one more time before cooking. Roast chicken for 40-45 minutes until internal meat temperature reaches 170°, turning drumsticks once half way through.
When drumsticks are almost done, melt butter and hot sauce in a small saucepan to make buffalo sauce. In a large bowl, coat hot drumsticks with warm buffalo sauce and serve immediately.
Divide recipe according to size of Air Fryer. A 6 quart Air Fryer can cook about 4 drumsticks, so recipe would be divided in half or made in two batches.
Gently pull skin up to cover as much of chicken meat as possible. Use a skewer to poke 4-5 small holes on each side in the skin of the chicken. This will help the fat render evenly. Pat drumsticks very dry with paper towels and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt on both sides. Air Fry drumsticks for 25 minutes at 400°, turning once halfway through cooking time. Skin should be super crispy and meat should reach an internal temperature of 170°. Air Fryer cooking times will vary.
When drumsticks are almost done, melt butter and hot sauce in a small saucepan to make buffalo sauce. In a medium bowl, coat hot drumsticks with warm buffalo sauce and serve immediately.
Favorite Super Bowl Party Recipes
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
This is an excellent recipe! Glad you used two methods, they are both easy to follow! The buffalo drumsticks turned out to be sooo tender and flavorful. Love them!
I made these drumsticks in the air fryer and they turned out perfectly!! Everyone loved them so much, they are already asking when I can make this recipe again!