Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – loaded with mini semi sweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips.Jump to Recipe
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
The classic chocolate chip version of my viral M&M Cookie Bars made with two kinds of chocolate chips. These cookie bars are sure to become a family favorite. They are perfectly balanced with a 1:1 ratio of brown sugar and granulated sugar and an epic combination of milk chocolate chips and semi sweet chocolate chips. So you get the soft rich cookie bar center and the crispy texture on the edges. You also get the amazing combination of both kinds and sizes of chocolate chips. All the delicious flavor and texture of classic chocolate chip cookies, without the scooping or rolling. Perfect for feeding a crowd or taking to parties.
How to Make Chocolate Chips Cookie Bars
- Start with two sticks of room temperature unsalted butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cake pan with foil and spray foil with non stick cooking spray.
- Beat butter and sugars until fluffy, then add room temperature eggs one at a time until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour that has been spooned and leveled into measuring cup with baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and continue mixing until flour is mixed in, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Stir in chocolate chips and transfer to lined cake pan. Cookie dough will be thick.
- Top with additional chocolate chips and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Let bars cool and cut into 2 inch squares. Can be cut larger or smaller.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Ingredients
- Unsalted Butter – for the best texture
- Sugar – white granulated sugar
- Golden Brown Sugar – firmly packed
- Large Eggs – using extra large eggs will result in a slightly softer cookie dough
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour – use a spoon to measure flour into cup, then level the cup
- Baking Soda – make sure the baking soda is fresh for best results
- Salt – table salt for best results
- Milk Chocolate Chips – the combination of milk and semi sweet is so good
- Mini Chocolate Chips – the Nestle mini chocolate chips are semi sweet and add great texture to the cookie bars
RECIPE TIPS AND UPDATES
- When measuring the flour, make sure to use the scoop and level method. Use a spoon to fill the measuring cup, then level with a butter knife. This ensures that there is not too much flour packed into the measuring cup and keeps the dough from having too much flour.
- When I published the Orginal Christmas Cookie Bar recipe, I used a 9×13 glass pyrex dish. Over the years, I have found that a 9×13 aluminum cake pan bakes more evenly.
- I don’t reccomend using a disposable baking pan as they don’t cook evenly. When taking them to go, I will bake them in my regular pan and use the foil to transfer them to a disposable pan after they cool.
- Adding too many chocolate chips to the cookie dough or to the top of the bars can cause them to bake unevenly and not set in the middle.
- You can use parchment paper instead of foil. I prefer the foil because the cookie dough is thick and the bars are heavy. The foil stays in place better than parchment paper and feels stronger when lifting the bars out for cutting.
Unsalted Butter Vs Salted Butter
In the past, I used both butters interchangeably in this recipe. Recently, I read an article from Cook’s Illustrated about salted butter releasing more moisture into baked goods and have since made the switch to unsalted butter. They both work in the recipe, but using unsalted butter results in a better cookie bar texture and more even browning. I will be updating my older cookie bar recipes with this tip as well and recommending unsalted butter.
More Cookie Bar Recipes
- M&M’S Christmas Cookie Bars
- Red, White and Blue Cookie Bars
- Easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (Smaller Batch)
- Classic M&M’s Cookie Bars
- 3 cups all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened (1/2 pound)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup golden brown sugar firmly packed
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips plus more for topping
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips plus more for toppings
Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9x13 cake pan with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray. Set pan aside.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and continue to mix until well combined. Add vanilla extract.
With mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mixture to bowl and mix until combined scraping sides of bowl as needed. Stir in chocolate chips.
Transfer cookie dough to lined cake pan and sprinkle with additional mini semi sweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips. Bake for about 30 minutes, until cookies bars are light golden brown. Do not over bake.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS