One-Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice – tender chunks of chicken and homemade mexican rice cooked all in one pan.Jump to Recipe
One-Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice
Homemade mexican rice made into a delicious one pot meal with the addition of chicken, cheese, and flavorful, fresh toppings. This recipe is a combination of my One-Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe and my Mexican Rice recipe. A simple, comforting classic combination of chicken and rice with a mexican inspired flavor profile. This meal is really easy to customize and great for making ahead.
Ingredients for Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Breasts – cut into one inch chunks. Can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Extra Long Grain White Rice – I use white rice in the recipe because it cooks in the same time as the chicken. Brown rice will take longer to cook.
- Low-Sodium Chicken Broth – adds flavor to the rice versus using water
- Tomato Sauce – the combination of tomato sauce, seasonings, and chicken broth is my go-to for mexican rice
- Onions and Garlic – I love adding freshly chopped onions and garlic for the maximum flavor, but if you are in a hurry or don’t have any on hand you can skip these and increase the garlic powder and onion powder
- Seasonings – combination of chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and salt and pepper
How to Make Mexican Chicken and Rice in One Pot
- Cut chicken into bite size chunks, season lightly with salt and pepper and quickly brown over medium-high heat in olive oil. It should not be cooked through, the chicken will continue cooking along with the rice.
- Add onions and sauté just until they start to soften, then add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Push chicken, onions, and garlic over to one side of pan. Then add additional olive oil to other side of pan.
- Toast rice in olive oil until some of the rice starts to turn golden brown.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce, and seasoning to pan. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, then use a fork to fluff the rice and chicken. Cook for an additional 5 minutes covered, if needed. Rice should be tender and chicken broth absorbed. Squeeze fresh lime juice over top and fluff again.
- Top with cheese and let melt.
- Add any combination of green onions, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, avocado, and sour cream.
One Pot Dinner Recipes
- One Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice
- One Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Skillet Enchiladas
- One Pot Swedish Meatballs
One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice - tender chunks of chicken and homemade mexican rice cooked all in one pan.
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 cup extra long grain rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 lime
- 1 cup Colby Jack Cheese shredded
- Green Onions, Cilantro, Tomatoes, Avocado, Sour Cream
Cut chicken into bite size chunks, season lightly with salt and pepper. In a 3 quart sauce pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Add diced chicken and quickly brown chunks. Chicken should not be cooked through at this point.
Add onions and sauté along with chicken just until onions start to soften, then add garlic and sauté for another minute. Push chicken, onions, and garlic over to one side of pan. Then add additional olive oil to other side of pan. Toast rice in olive oil until some of the rice starts to turn golden brown.
Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and seasonings to pan. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 20 minutes, then use a fork to fluff the rice and chicken. Cook for additional 5 minutes covered, if needed. Rice should be tender and chicken broth absorbed. Squeeze fresh lime juice over top and fluff again. Top with cheese and let melt. Add any combination of green onions, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, avocado, and sour cream.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS
The tomato sauce isn’t listed as an ingredient.
Is it just one small, 8oz. can?
Yes, thank you for the comment. I just updated the ingredient list!
I’m planning on making the Mexican Chicken and Rice. I can’t find how much tomato sauce to add with the chicken stock in the recipe to print.
I just updated the post! It’s an 8oz can of tomato sauce. Thank you!
Love the seasoning blend in the rice & chicken! Super delish. Genius topping it with cheese & tomatoes! So good!
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!
SO easy to make and such a crowd pleaser. Even my picky son loves it!
Looking forward to making this tonight. Will substitute the tomato sauce for salsa.
This was so good! My family made it for dinner and everyone enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe!https://sugarandcharm.com/chocolate-covered-pretzel-rods
Eden recently posted…Kalimotxo: A Red Wine and Coke Cocktail
This is an easy and really delicious dinner! My entire family loved it.
This is really easy to follow, loved this mexican chicken and rice recipe! It’s really tasty and very flavorful! Will surely have this again! Highly recommended!
Simple & SO delicious!! Loved this recipe!
Made this for dinner this evening. It was even better than I imagined. So easy to prepare. The cheese at the end is like the icing on the cake. Going in my meal rotation for sure!