Homemade eggnog is just so delicious. I’m not exaggerating when I say it is so much better than store bought! Some store bought eggnogs are overly thick and sugary sweet. This homemade eggnog is just unbelievably fresh and creamy and it only takes minutes to make. Traditional eggnog is made with raw eggs which give it a rich and delicious flavor. In this recipe, I use pasteurized eggs found at my local grocery store to be extra safe.
I found the pasteurized eggs right next to the organic eggs in my grocery store. They are more expensive than regular eggs, but about the same price as organic. These were $4.99 for a dozen.
I used my stand mixer to shorten the mixing time, but you can use a hand held mixer or just a whisk and big bowl as well.
While the mixer is mixing the egg yolks, stream in sugar until well combined.
Mix until light yellow.
Stir in milk, heavy cream, vanilla and nutmeg.
Try this with freshly grated nutmeg. You won’t be sorry!
A microplane is inexpensive and perfect for grating nutmeg as well as parmesan cheese and lemon zest. Click on the picture to see it on Amazon.
- 4 egg yolks from pasteurized eggs
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of freshly grated nutmeg
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix egg yolks on medium speed.
- Slowly add sugar just until well combined. Eggs should be a light yellow color.
- Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Turn mixer to low and add in milk, heavy cream, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Chill and serve.
Use a whole nutmeg, freshly grated on a microplane for best flavor.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
You may also like:
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS