This Slow Cooker Stuffing is going to be your new favorite Thanksgiving side. Not only does it free up a spot in your oven, it is out of this world delicious. It’s packed with sausage, apples, and tart cranberries. Combine that with the fresh sage, rosemary, and flat leaf parsley, and it is Thanksgiving perfection. This slow cooker stuffing stays moist and flavorful, while the sides get crunchy and delicious from the heat of the slow cooker walls. For more Thanksgiving sides, check out my Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes and my Corn Casserole.
Start by sautéing onions and celery is a large sauté pan. Brown one pound of sausage. I usually use a 1 pound chub of breakfast sausage.
Stir in fresh herbs, dried cranberries, and diced apples, and get ready for your kitchen to smell like Thanksgiving. Once those fresh herbs hit the warm pan, it is heavenly!
Now grab the big bag of unseasoned bread cubes and add them to the slow cooker. I’ve tried making my own bread cubes, but in this recipe, store bought is the way to go. They save you time and they have a better texture than fresh. Pour the sausage mixture over the top and stir together. Finally, stir in heated turkey or chicken stock and melted butter.
Cook for about 4 hours on low. Sprinkle with additional parsley before serving.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 1 pound of sausage
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh sage minced
- 2 teaspoons of fresh rosemary minced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 large golden delicious apple cored and diced
- 3/4 cups of dried cranberries
- 2 cups of turkey or chicken stock
- 6 cups of dry unseasoned bread cubes
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
- Saute onions and celery in olive oil over medium heat, until they start to soften.
- Add sausage, breaking up as it cooks.
- Season sausage with 1 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Once sausage is cooked through, stir in fresh herbs.
- Stir in apples and cranberries.
- In a large slow cooker, combine breadcrumbs and sausage mixture.
- Stir in turkey stock and melted butter.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours.
- Sprinkle with additional fresh parsley.
I’d love for you to keep up on my new projects and recipes. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter. You can also find me on Pinterest, that’s my favorite place to hang out and I’d love to see you there.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS