Christmas Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookie Bars – homemade cookie bars loaded with chocolate chips and topped with Christmas sugar cookies.
CHRISTMAS CHOCOLATE CHIP SUGAR COOKIE BARS
The classic chocolate chip version of my viral M&M Cookie Bars made with festive Pillsbury Shape™ Sugar cookies baked right on top. Inspired by the super easy Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies I shared, I was wondering if they would work with our favorite cookie bar recipe, and they do! Absolutely delicious and perfect for Christmas baking.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP SUGAR COOKIE BARS
- Start with two sticks of room temperature unsalted butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cake pan with foil. Spray the foil with non stick cooking spray.
- Beat butter and sugars until fluffy, then add room temperature eggs one at a time until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour that has been spooned and leveled into measuring cup with baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and continue mixing until combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Stir in chocolate chips and transfer to lined cake pan. Cookie dough will be thick.
- Top with 20 pieces of the sugar cookie dough and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Let cool and cut.
CHOCOLATE CHIP SUGAR COOKIE BAR INGREDIENTS
- Unsalted Butter – for the best texture
- Sugar – white granulated sugar
- Golden Brown Sugar – firmly packed
- Large Eggs – using extra large eggs will result in a slightly softer cookie dough
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour – use a spoon to measure flour into cup, then level the cup
- Baking Soda – make sure the baking soda is fresh for best results
- Salt – table salt for best results
- Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Pillsbury Shape™ Sugar Cookie Dough
- When measuring the flour, make sure to use the scoop and level method. Use a spoon to fill the measuring cup, then level with a butter knife. This ensures that there is not too much flour packed into the measuring cup and keeps the dough from having too much flour.
- I don’t reccomend using a disposable baking pan as they don’t cook evenly. When taking them to go, I will bake them in my regular pan and use the foil to transfer them to a disposable pan after they cool.
- You can use parchment paper instead of foil. I prefer the foil because the cookie dough is thick and the bars are heavy. The foil stays in place better than parchment paper and feels stronger when lifting the bars out for cutting.
More Christmas Cookie Recipes
- M&M’S Christmas Cookie Bars
- Candy Cane Cookies
- Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- M&M’S Christmas Cookies for Santa
- Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars
- 3 cups all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened (1/2 pound)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup golden brown sugar firmly packed
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips plus more for topping
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips plus more for toppings
- 20 Pillsbury Shape™ Sugar Cookies
Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9x13 cake pan with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray. Set pan aside.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and continue to mix until well combined. Add vanilla extract.
With mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mixture to bowl and mix until combined scraping sides of bowl as needed. Stir in chocolate chips.
Transfer cookie dough to lined cake pan and top with sugar cookies. Bake for about 35 minutes, until cookies bars are light golden brown. Do not over bake. Let cool and cut.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS