Crockpot Chicken and Biscuits – tender chicken and colorful mixed veggies simmered in a creamy seasoned sauce with buttery biscuits baked right on top.
CrockPot Chicken and Biscuits
The best recipes have a combination of textures and flavors. Sometimes slow cooker recipes suffer from lack of both. This recipe solves that problem by a quick sear of the chicken before slow cooking, added seasoning, and using the oven safe CrockPot insert to bake the biscuits right on top.
Ingredients in CrockPot Chicken and Biscuits
Chicken Thighs – boneless skinless chicken thighs cook up really well in the slow cooker and add so much flavor to the finished dish. Giving them a quick sear before builds even more flavor. You can substitute chicken breasts and keep the same cooking time and instructions.
Onions – softening these for just a few minutes before adding to the slow cooker also helps build flavor and mellows out the flavor of the onion.
Cream of Chicken Soup – canned cream of chicken soup is a great stable base for the sauce. Use one family sized can, or two regular sized cans. Cream of mushroom soup is also a great alternative.
Frozen Mixed Vegetables – I use a mix of carrots, green beans, peas, and corn to add color and flavor. Peas and carrots would be a good substitute.
Biscuits – I used Pillsbury Butter Flavored Southern Style canned biscuits for an extra layer of flavor. Brush them with a small amount of garlic butter after cooking to add even more flavor.
How to make CrockPot Chicken and Biscuits
- Start by quickly searing chicken thighs on each side in a nonstick skillet. This helps build flavor in the finished recipe.
- Transfer chicken thighs to slow cooker. Add butter and onions to non stick pan and cook just until they start to soften, 3-5 minutes. Then scrape butter, onion and all pan drippings into slow cooker.
- Cook chicken thighs, onions, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and seasonings for 3 hours on high.
- After 3 hours, remove chicken thighs and shred. Return to slow cooker and stir in frozen vegetables and cook for another hour.
- Remove glass lid from CrockPot and add uncooked biscuits to top of chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Place just the CrockPot insert in a preheated oven to bake biscuits on top until golden brown.
Are CrockPot Inserts Oven Safe?
Yes, CrockPot branded ceramic inserts are oven safe up to 400° according to the CrockPot website.
More Slow Cooker Dinner Recipes
- Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken Alfredo
- CrockPot Whole Chicken
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 22 oz Cream of Chicken soup family size can or two 10 oz cans
- 14.5 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups mixed vegetables frozen
- 8 canned biscuits Southern Style Butter preferred
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Heat olive oil in nonstick pan and quickly sear chicken thighs on each side. Transfer chicken thighs to slow cooker. Add butter and onions to pan and cook just until they start to soften, 3-5 minutes. Then transfer onions and butter to slow cooker.
Add cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and seasonings to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. After 3 hours, remove chicken thighs and shred. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and add frozen mixed vegetables and cook for another hour on high.
Preheat oven to 375°. Place biscuit dough on top of chicken and vegetable mixture. Using oven mits, transfer just the CrockPot ceramic insert to oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through. Brush biscuits with mixture of melted butter and garlic powder and sprinkle with parsley.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS