Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread Recipe– homemade pumpkin bread layered and swirled with sweet pumpkin spice cream cheese.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
Pumpkin and cream cheese are one of the all time best flavor combinations! Working on this new recipe, I couldn’t decide if I wanted a pumpkin bread filled with cream cheese or one with a swirl of cream cheese on top. After several weeks of recipe testing, I arrived at the best of both worlds. Pumpkin bread with a ribbon of cream cheese filling and a pretty cream cheese swirl on top.
Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl
I tested several variations of this recipe. I love the look of a cream cheese swirl, however to get that beautiful swirl you can really only use a small amount of cream cheese, which was not enough to get taste the cream cheese and pumpkin combined. My solution was to have both a layer of cream cheese baked into the pumpkin bread and a swirl on top so it bakes up beautifully!
Assembling the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
- Start with the pumpkin bread batter and cream cheese filling.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of cream cheese filling to add to the top of the pumpkin bread for the swirl.
- Cut two strips of parchment paper to line 9×5 loaf pan. Spray loaf pan with non stick cooking spray to hold the parchment paper in place.
- Add half of pumpkin bread batter to parchment paper lined loaf pan.
- Then add cream cheese filling (less the reserved 1/4 cup) and spread evenly.
- Top with remaining pumpkin bread batter.
- Dollop cream cheese over top layer of pumpkin bread batter and use a toothpick to swirl.
How to Freeze Pumpkin Bread
People love to freeze pumpkin bread, and as a dense and moist quick bread, it’s the perfect candidate.
- Start by letting the pumpkin bread cool completely.
- Wrap bread tightly in two layers of plastic wrap. I like to leave the parchment paper in place for extra protection from sticking.
- Place wrapped pumpkin bread loaf in a freezer safe plastic baggie and mark with date.
- Freeze for no longer than three month for best results.
- Most important step: Let pumpkin bread thaw while still wrapped so it retains moisture.
My Favorite Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Crispy Pumpkin Waffles
- Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bars
If you make this pumpkin bread, I’d love for you to tag me on Instagram at @no2pencilblog
- 1 cup pumpkin 100% pure pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- salt pinch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9x5 loaf pan with strips of parchment paper. Spray loaf pan and parchment paper with non stick cooing spray to help it stay in place.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin, 2 eggs, butter, water, sugar, and pure vanilla extract. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
Use a stand mixer, or electric hand mixer to combine cream cheese, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, egg, pinch of salt, and vanilla extract.
Set aside 1/4 cup of cream cheese mixture to swirl on top of pumpkin bread. Add 1/2 of pumpkin bread batter to loaf pan. Then layer with remaining cream cheese mixture. Add reamining pumpkin bread batter over cream cheese layer. Then dollop final layer of pumpkin bread batter with reserved cream cheese and swirl into pumpkin bread batter using toothpick.
Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until set. Let cool and slice.
To freeze: Let pumpkin bread cool completely and wrap tightly with two layers of plastic wrap. Then place in a gallon size freezer baggie and freeze for up to three months. Let thaw completely inside plastic wrap.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS