M&M Christmas Cookie Bars – loaded with festive M&M’s and chocolate chips, these internet famous cookie bars have been a reader favorite since 2016.
M&M Christmas Cookie Bars
These cookie bars were the most popular Christmas cookies on Pinterest for several years and have been featured on Food Network, Country Living, Oprah Magazine, and Good Morning America. They get rave reviews and are so easy to make!
The texture of the M&M’S with the mini chocolate chips and white chocolate chips is so good. Perfect for a party or holiday gift giving. These make a big 9×13 pan of rich and delicious M&M cookie bars. Depending on how you cut them, they can make 24 bars all the way up to 36 bars. I sprinkle a few white chocolate chips on top just before baking to make them look more festive.
M&M Christmas Cookie Bar Ingredients
- Salted Butter – you can use unsalted butter if that’s what you have on hand. Just increase salt in recipe by 1/4 teaspoon.
- Sugar – white granulated sugar
- Golden Brown Sugar – firmly packed
- Large Eggs – using extra large eggs will result in a slightly softer cookie dough
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour – I always buy Gold-Medal All Purpose Flour for recipe consistency
- Baking Soda – make sure the baking soda is fresh for best results
- Christmas M&M’s – I like to buy these as soon as I see them in the store. Sometimes they are hard to find when the holiday gets closer.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – the Nestle mini chocolate chips are semi sweet and add great texture to the cookie bars
- White Chocolate Chips – the Nestle Premier white morsels don’t brown as quickly as some off the other brands
How to Make M&M Christmas Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350º and line a 9×13 aluminum cake pan with foil. Spray foil with non stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a large bowl and a hand mixer, beat butter and sugars together.
- Add eggs and vanilla followed by flour, salt and baking soda.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips and M&M’S.
- Transfer cookie dough to foil lined pan and spread evenly.
- Press additional M&M’s and chocolate chips into top and bake.
Recipe Tips and Updates
- When measuring the flour, make sure to use the scoop and level method. Use a spoon to fill the measuring cup, then level with a butter knife. This ensures that there is not too much flour packed into the measuring cup and keeps the dough from having too much flour.
- When I initially published the recipe, I used a 9×13 glass pyrex dish. Over the years, I have found that a 9×13 aluminum cake pan bakes more evenly.
- I don’t reccomend using a disposable baking pan as they don’t cook evenly. When taking them to go, I will bake them in my regular pan and use the foil to transfer them to a disposable pan after they cool.
- Adding too many M&M’s to the cookie dough or to the top of the bars can cause them to bake unevenly and not set in the middle.
- You can use parchment paper instead of foil. I prefer the foil because the cookie dough is thick and the bars are heavy. The foil stays in place better than parchment paper and feels stronger when lifting the bars out for cutting.
- 2 sticks salted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup golden brown sugar firmly packed
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Christmas M&M's plus more for topping
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 9x13 aluminum pan with foil. Leave some overhang to make removal easier.
Spray foil generously with nonstick cooking spray.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until fluffy.
Add in eggs and vanilla extract and continue to beat.
Lower speed of mixer and add flour, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
Add M&M's and mini chocolate chips and give a final stir, reserving some M&M's, mini chocolate chips and white chocolate chips for topping cookie bars.
Transfer cookie dough to prepared baking dish.
Press additional M&M'S, mini chocolate chips and white chocolate chips into top of cookie dough.
Bake 35 minutes on middle rack of oven, or until cookie bars are light golden brown and just set. Do not over bake. Cookie bars will continue to bake as they cool.
Let cool completely and cut. Store tightly covered.
Please tag me on Instagram if you make these cookie bars. I would love to see them!
More Christmas Recipes
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS