Old-Fashioned Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes – melt in your mouth tender and fluffy, these buttermilk pancakes are a weekend staple.
Old Fashioned Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
These pancakes are hands-down our family favorite and a weekend staple in our house. Buttery and fluffy with just the right amount of old-fashioned buttermilk flavor. My brother-in-law Tony has always made the best pancakes, and several years ago he gave me the recipe. We have been using it ever since. I always make a double batch so my kids can have leftovers throughout the week.
How to Make Buttermilk Pancakes
- Preheat a nonstick griddle to medium heat. I use 325 degrees on a non stick electric griddle.
- Melt butter for recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl combine, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and whisk together.
- Add buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Pour batter onto griddle using a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Let cook 4-5 minutes or until edges are set and pancakes are golden brown. Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes.
Pancake Making Tips
- For evenly golden brown pancakes, just use a good nonstick griddle.
- For crispy buttery pancakes, brush griddle with melted butter before cooking.
- For even cooking, only flip pancakes once. Wait to flip until first side is completely golden brown.
- Refrigerate or freeze extras for leftovers.
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
To make blueberry buttermilk pancakes do not mix blueberries into batter. Here is how to do it:
- Spray griddle with nonstick cooking spray or brush with butter to prevent berry juice from making a sticky mess.
- Ladle plain buttermilk pancake batter onto griddle.
- Drop blueberries individually into each pancake.
- Once pancakes are golden brown on bottom and edges are dry, flip and cook blueberries into pancake.
- Use fresh or frozen blueberries. The berries are so small, frozen berries will cook through.
More Pancake Recipes
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to tag me on Instagram at @no2pencilblog
Perfectly fluffy old-fashioned buttermilk pancakes from scratch.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Heat a large nonstick electric griddle to 325 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in buttermilk, butter, eggs, and pure vanilla extract.
Measure pancake batter by 1/4 cup fulls onto griddle. Cook until edges start to set and pancakes is golden brown underneath. Flip and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS