Peppermint Snowball Cookies – festive peppermint shortbread cookies rolled in powdered sugar and sprinkled with crushed candy cane.
Peppermint Snowball Cookies
These little cookies are so delicious and perfect for the holidays. Traditional snowball cookies have just pecans, but these snowball cookies are something totally different! The crunchy candy canes make them a perfect holiday treat.
Would you believe until this year, I had never made a snowball cookie? I love the festive snowball look of the cookies but the ones I had tried were always hard, dry and flavorless. This cookie is none of those things!
How to Make Peppermint Snowballs
- Start by mixing a shortbread cookie dough. You can use a stand mixer with paddle attachment or a hand mixer.
- Use crushed candy canes or peppermint candies.
- Note: There is no baking powder, baking soda or eggs in this recipe.
- Use a tablespoon to measure cookie dough and roll into a ball.
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Use a shiny aluminum baking sheet for best results.
- These cookies spread more than traditional snowball cookies. The pieces of candy cane melt and contribute to spreading. Expect the cookies to be flat on the bottom.
- Bake until bottoms are a light golden brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then roll in powdered sugar.
- Let cool completely, then roll in powdered sugar again and sprinkle with crushed candy cane.
- Store tightly covered for up to three days.
- For best results, prepare cookie dough as instructed.
- Scoop and roll cookie dough balls. Freeze in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Once cookie dough balls are frozen, transfer to a freezer safe storage bag and freeze up to 3 months.
- Alternatively, freeze baked cookies for up to three months in a freezer safe storage bag or container.
- I recommend freezing the cookie dough over freezing the baked cookies.
More Christmas Cookies
- M&M’S Christmas Cookie Bars
- Candy Cane Cookies
- Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- M&M’S Christmas Cookies for Santa
- Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars
Buttery pepeprmint shortbread cookies rolled in powdered sugar and sprinkles with crushed candy canes.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar plus more for rolling
- 1/2 cup candy canes crushed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup flour
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar. Add crushed candy canes, vanilla and salt. Gradually add flour, scraping down sides as nessecary.
Use a tablespoon to measure cookie dough and roll into a ball. Bake for about 10 minutes or until bottoms are light golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes and then roll in powdered sugar. Let cool completely and roll in powdred sugar again. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Store tightly covered for up to three days.
5 Easy Dinner Ideas for Busy Weeknights
My five FAVORITE recipes for busy families!
- Quick to make
- Light on your budget
- Easy to clean-up
- and...most important...absolutely DELICIOUS